How To Cut Things
By Cooking Panda
Slicing Cherry Tomatoes
Need to cut a bunch of cherry tomatoes at once? Here’s a handy trick!
1) Place them on a plate.
2) Cover with another plate.
3) Run a long, serrated knife through the two plates.
4) Voila! All of your tomatoes are halved in one fell swoop.
Want to slice basil quickly and easily? Then you’ll want to do what’s called a chiffonade. Stack all the leaves on top of each other, roll tightly, then slice the leaves perpendicular to the roll. You can do this with any leafy herb.
If there’s one cutting technique you should know, it’s the proper way to dice an onion.
1) Don’t cut the root off the onion! Cut the onion in half and peel off the skin.
2) Lay the onion flat and make three horizontal slices into the onion, but don’t cut all the way through. Then make a series of vertical cuts, but also don’t cut all the way through.
3) Finally, begin to dice the onion. For large pieces, do the same things, but with larger cuts. For minced onions, the same things but with smaller cuts.
The important thing to remember when cutting steak is to slice against the grain. With this technique, you will have more tender pieces of meat.Cutting, hacks, Slicing