Ultimate Black Bean Sliders for Vegetarian Football Fans
By Jenny Pham
When you think of Super Bowl snacks, you probably envision wings, buffalo chicken dip, mini hot dogs, and tons of meat filled snacks. Yes, there are vegetarian options as well, like mozzarella sticks, spinach artichoke dip, cheese pizza, and chips, but these snacks are filled with loads of fat and calories. Why not switch it up and add a healthier, yet indulgent vegetarian option to the mix?
Look no further because we have the perfect addition – Ultimate Black Bean Sliders.
These small fluffy bites of black beans sliders are so hearty and flavorful, it’ll be a refreshing break from all the grease and fats from other Super Bowl snacks. The spices in the black bean patty are so complementary to different condiments and ingredients that you can dress them up however you’d like. Cali style with avocado and spicy mayo dressing, All-American style with onion, lettuce, tomatoes, or Thai style with peanut dressing – it’s your call.
This recipe is packed with black beans, which are a great source of fiber, potassium, and other nutrients – you wouldn’t even know you’re benefiting from eating these!
- 1 (16 oz) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ of a green, red, or yellow pepper, diced
- ½ of a medium onion, cut into wedges
- 3 garlic gloves
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp of chili powder
- ½ tbsp of cumin powder
- 1 tsp of chili garlic sauce
- Slider buns (we like King’s Hawaiian sweet buns or pretzel buns)
- Optional Toppings: sliced avocado, lettuce, tomatoes, extra onions, mustard, spicy mayo
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Place rinsed black beans in a large ziplock bag, seal the bag making sure all air is exhausted from inside the bag. Mash the beans until thick and pasty.
- Add bell pepper, onions, and garlic to a food processor.
- In a separate bowl, mix chopped pepper/onion/garlic mixture with mashed black beans.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg, chili powder, cumin powder, and chili sauce
- Combine egg mixture with black bean mixture, mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is thick enough to be formed into patties
- Form mini patties, about 2-inch diameter each and place on a baking sheet
- Bake for about 5-6 minutes on each side.
- Toast slider buns until lightly golden. Add your sauce of choice onto the base bun, layer on a black bean slider patty, and then add your topping(s) of choice. Finish off by placing the top bun over the toppings and enjoy!