Superbowl Snack: Buffalo Chicken Dumplings
By Jenny Pham
We love a good mash-up, do you? Change up your Superbowl snack spread with a revolutionizing snack that may or may not divert attention away from the game. We’re following the trends of colliding two types of cuisines and presenting Buffalo Chicken Dumplings. In addition to buffalo chicken wings, buffalo chicken dip and buffalo cauliflower wings, we’re adding a new player to the team that may end up being the MVP.
Yields: 36 dumplings
- ½ cup of oil
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup finely chopped celery (about 2 stalks)
- 1 large eggs
- 8 oz. of rotisserie chicken, shredded
- ⅓ cup buffalo sauce (we like to use the classic Frank’s RedHot)
- ⅓ cup scallion, chopped
- 36 dumpling wrappers
- Ranch or Blue Cheese to dip
- In a skillet, heat up 2 tbsp of oil and add onions and a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté the onions until brown (about 3 minutes).
- Add in the celery and cook until soft (about 2 minutes). Transfer onion and celery mixture to a bowl.
- Mix shredded chicken, buffalo sauce, scallions, and ¾ tsp of salt in with onions and celery
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg with one tbsp of water and set aside.
- Lay down a dumpling wrapper, fill the middle of the wrap with chicken filling, brush the edge of the wrapper with egg wash. Fold the dumpling in half and seal the edges together. Transfer the dumpling to a plate.
- Repeat step 5 until dumpling wrappers or chicken filling run out.
- Heat a skillet with 2 tbsp of oil. Once the oil starts to sizzle, lay dumplings down in a single layer (avoid overlapping, if possible).
- Sear each side until they are golden and crispy (about 45-60 seconds each side).
- Once all the dumplings are seared, transfer to a serving plate, sprinkle with more chopped scallions (if desired) and dip in blue cheese or ranch!
These pillowy buffalo chicken bites are a great contrast from the usual crunchy Superbowl chips and dips. If you are feeling like there are not enough cheesy snacks at your party, feel free to add shredded cheddar cheese on each dumpling while they are still hot.
As if it couldn’t get any better, these buffalo chicken dumplings can even be accompanied by its sweeter companion – Barbeque Chicken Dumplings! Now THAT’S a Superbowl spread. Just simply follow the above steps but instead of adding in buffalo sauce, replace it with barbeque sauce and you’ve got yourself a one-way ticket to flavor town.
- Recipe – https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/buffalo-chicken-dumplings-3687634