Stuffed Parmesan Potatoes
By Jenny Pham
What better way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day than by indulging in potatoes. These aren’t any regular potatoes, however, because they are stuffed with all the goodness that we all know we shouldn’t love but love anyway. This recipe for Stuffed Parmesan potatoes yields perfect pockets of creamy mashed potatoes topped with the beloved parmesan cheese. The best part? These are served in individual portions so you can enjoy them all to yourself, however many you want!
Potatoes were largely dependent on feeding the Irish during the Irish Famine. Many people were starving but thanks to this crop, Ireland’s population found a safe source of food to survive on. Packed with fiber, potassium, vitamin C, and vitamin B6, this starch is highly versatile and has been incorporated into dishes all over the world. We’re utilizing this crop to whip up a hearty, yet complementary side that is a crowd pleaser and can be done in just 40 minutes.
- 3 medium potatoes of choice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 5 basil leaves
- dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese and shredded cheese to top
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Wash, scrub, and dry each sweet potato. Pierce the potatoes and bake in a baking dish for about an hour or until tender (pierce with a fork to test)
- Let the potatoes cool slightly then cut off the top ⅓ of each potato lengthwise and scoop out the inside, making sure to leave ¼ inch wall of sweet potato meat inside the “boat”
- Mash scooped potato with heavy cream, ¼ cup parmesan cheese, basel, dried thyme, sal, and pepper
- Spoon mashed potatoes in each potato skin half and place back onto the baking dish
- Top with remaining 1/4 cup grated Parmesan and cheddar cheese. Bake for about 15 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy!