Tex-Mex Breakfast Bowls
1. To make the pico de gallo: In a small mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients. Stir to combine, and set aside to marinate while you make the remaining components.
2. To make the creamy black beans: In a medium saucepan heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic, and reduce heat to medium. Sauté until onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in oregano, chili powder, cumin and coriander and cook for 30 seconds. Add beans and broth. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Use a potato masher or the back of a fork to mash up about at least half of the beans. Continue to cook the beans, uncovered, stirring often, for 3 more minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the salt and pepper. If the beans seem dry, add a very small splash of water and stir to combine. Cover until you’re ready to serve.
5. To make scrambled eggs: In a medium mixing bowl, scramble the eggs with the cream or milk, salt and a few twists of freshly ground black pepper.
6. Melt the butter in a medium non-stick pan over medium-low heat. When the butter begins to bubble, pour in the eggs and immediately use a silicone spatula to swirl in small circles around the pan, without stopping, until the eggs look slightly thickened and very small curds begin to form, about 30 seconds. Change from making circles to making long sweeps across the pan until you see larger, creamy curds; about 20 seconds. Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the cheese, if using.
7. To assemble. Divide scrambled eggs evenly into 4 bowls. Divide the pico de gallo into the bowls, leaving the watery tomato juice in the bowl. Spoon the creamy black beans and top each bowl with a few slices of thinly sliced avocado.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.