- In a large bowl rinse the rice several times under cool water till in drains clear. Keeping rice in a bowl, cover with cold water adding 1 tablespoon of salt giving it a nice mix and letting it soak for an hour.
- Add 8 cups of water and the remaining 3 tablespoons of salt to a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Drain the rice and add it to boiling water, stirring. Let cook until water begins to boil (about 3 minutes). Check the rice it should be al dente (soft on the outside, soft on the inside.) If not cook 1 to 2 minutes more. Drain the rice and rinse briefly with warm water. IF the rice seems salty rinse again and set aside in the sieve.
- Stir saffron and turmeric and 3 tablespoons hot water together in a small cup.
- Place a 6 quart nonstick pot over medium-high heat. Add the ghee and half of the saffron- turmeric water. Swirl to melt completely and coat the bottom and sides of the pot. When the ghee begins to sizzle, add enough rice to coat the bottom of the pot evenly , about 1 ½ inches high. Press down gently but firmly with a spatula pr cup to compact the rice and create the crust. Spoon in the remaining rice over the top, forming a mound in the center. Using the handle of a wooden spoon, make 6 deep holes to vent steam down into the rice, stopping before you hit the bottom of the pot. Cover the pot with the lid and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Whisk the melted ghee together with the saffron- turmeric water. Carefully remove lid from put making sure not to get any condensation back in, turn the heat on low. Cover with a kitchen towel making sure there are no loose ends to catch on fire. Drizzle the saffron butter into the rice and cover. Cook for about 30 minutes making sure to rotate the pot to make sure it is evenly cooked. Remove from heat and remove lid, let it stand for 5 minutes, and check that the bottom is detached from the pot with an offset spatula, loosening if necessary. Place a platter over the top of the pot, using a towel to hold the sides, in one quick motion, invert the pot and serve immediately!
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.