The most important thing we’ve learned over the years is to have fun with what you’re eating. And what could be more fun than frying up some donuts and making them look like they’re ready for an under the sea adventure? You can switch up the colors and decorations, and everyone will LOVE your Mermaid Donuts.
Instructions1) Stir the vinegar into the milk, and let stand for 5 minutes until thick.
2) In a medium bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla until well blended. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the sugar mixture alternating with the vinegar and milk.
3) Roll dough out on a floured surface to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut into doughnuts using a donut cutter. Let rest for at least 10 minutes, preferably 30 minutes.
4) Heat the oil in a large deep skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Fry doughnuts in the hot oil until golden, turning over once. Drain on paper towels.
5) Make your glaze by whisking together half and half, heavy cream, vanilla extract and powdered sugar until fully combined. If the glaze is too thick, add a dash more heavy cream.
6) Separate the glaze into 4 bowls. Put pink food coloring in 1, purple in another, blue in another, and leave the last white. Dispense the glaze into a larger bowls using a number of circles from each color. Using a kabob stick or something similar, swirl the colors together to make a pattern. Dip the donut in the glaze and lift up.
7) Decorated your donuts with purple sprinkles, edible star glitter, and pink sugar pearls. You can adorn with purple chocolate shells made from a candy mold. Serve and enjoy!
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.