Garlic and Cheddar Bloomin’ Onion
- Trim off the pointed end of the onion (not the root end). Peel off the outer paper skin.
- Place the onion root side up on the cutting board. Create 10-12 evenly spaced cuts going around the onion. Be sure that you do not cut through the root.
- Flip the onion over and separate the “petals.”
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, paprika, Roasted Garlic, and Cheddar Seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, dried oregano, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, combine the heavy cream, water, and eggs. Whisk until fully combined.
- Place the onion, petal side up, in a large bowl. Sprinkle half of the flour mixture on top of the onion. Cover the bowl with a plate and shake to coat the onion in flour. Lift the onion out of the bowl and shake off any excess flour.
- Place the onion into the bowl of wet ingredients. Ladle the mixture on top of the onion until there are no more spots of dry flour. Lift the onion out of the bowl and allow any excess liquid to drip off.
- Place the onion back into the original bowl and pour the remaining half of the flour on top. Cover the bowl with a plate and shake until the onion is fully coated in flour. Lift the onion out of the bowl and shake off any excess flour. Place it on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper, and refrigerate until the oil is ready.
- Heat a pot of oil to 375˚F. Use a large slotted spoon to gently lower the onion into the oil. Cook for about 3-4 minutes then flip the onion over and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to lift the onion out of the oil. Allow any excess oil to drip off before placing it onto a sheet tray lined with paper towels. Season with a sprinkling of salt and serve.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.