Grilled Cheese Gets An Irish Makeover! Corned Beef Grilled Cheese With Guinness Caramelized Onions
By Cooking Panda
Enjoy a taste of St. Patrick’s Day all year round with this corned beef grilled cheese sandwich with drunken caramelized onions.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 cup Guinness
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 2 slices rye bread, lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup cheddar, shredded
- 2 ounces cooked corned beef, sliced or shredded
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add onions. Saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup Guinness. Cover and simmer until the liquid has mostly evaporated, about 15 minutes. Repeat three times.
- Remove from heat. Add Worcestershire sauce and grainy mustard. Blend well.
- Heat non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Butter the outside of each slice of bread. Sprinkle half of the cheese on the inside of one slice of bread. Add half of the onions, the corned beef, the remaining onions, cheese, and the other slice of bread.
- Add the sandwich to the pan. Grill for 2 to 4 minutes per side. Flip over. Grill for an additional 2 to 4 minutes until cheese is melted and sandwich is golden brown.
- Serve warm.
corned beef, corned beef grilled cheese sandwich, grilled cheese, sandwich