8-Year-Old Says TGI Friday’s Accidentally Served Him Alcoholic Root Beer
By Cooking Panda
A TGI Friday’s in Las Vegas may have made a little bit of a mistake by serving an 8-year-old boy alcoholic root beer instead of the regular stuff. Whoops.
Tyler Schwab, a third grader who has a heart defect and takes ADHD medication, couldn’t wait to drink his favorite beverage when he went out to dinner with his family. But after he took a couple of sips of the root beer, he said that it didn’t taste right.
“What do you call that, throw up root beer?” Tyler told WJBF, recalling his reaction to the strange taste. “Because that’s what it tastes like.”
He asked his mom to try it and confirm that something was off.
“My fiance grabbed the bottle and started looking at it and saw that it said 5.9 percent alcohol content,” said Adrianna Schwab, Tyler’s mother.
As it turns out, the bottle was far from the beverage Tyler is used to drinking – it was Not Your Father’s Root Beer, a relatively new brew that sparked a national phenomenon. The flavored beer, intended to replicate the popular soda, burst into the national scene about a year ago and is now the sixth best-selling craft beer brand in stores, according to the Chicago Tribune.
But while many people are singing the drink’s praises, the drink is not exactly something that was made to serve to children.
“[Tyler] was really freaked out,” Adrianna told WJBF. “He asked me, am I going to die?”
After the mishap, Adrianna said that the restaurant’s manager came out, removed the bottle and apologized to the family, although Adrianna said that the restaurant still isn’t in her good graces.
TGI Friday’s gave the following statement:
We are aware of an incident at our Orleans restaurant where a server accidentally served an adult root beer beverage to a minor. It was an honest mistake. We immediately addressed the situation with the guest directly and to the guests’ satisfaction. We are currently retraining staff on all operational procedures and responsible alcohol service standards to prevent a recurrence. The safety of our guests and team members is the utmost importance and our top priority.
We never really thought that the alcoholic root beer craze would backfire, but we can understand how those who aren’t familiar with it could mistake it for an innocent soda.accidentally served kid alcohol, alcoholic root beer, Not Your Father's Root Beer, Root Beer, served alcoholic root beer 8-year-old