Nacho Average Grilled Cheese
By Jenny Pham
What happens when you combine an American classic with a Mexican classic? Trust us, you’ll want to know. We’re taking grilled cheese to the next level by incorporating nachos elements. Crunchy, cheesy, deliciousness – what more could you ask for!
Leave the wonderbread and the American cheese in your cupboard, we’ve added a bit of spice and blending different cheese types together that will make your tastebuds want to explode.
For the bread, we use multi-grain whole wheat bread not because it’s healthy (that’s out the window for this recipe), but because of it’s sweet profile. Multi-grain bread has a sweet note to it that is not overpowering and balances SO well with the salt in all of the other ingredients of this recipe.
Moving onto the cheese selection, we’re going for the extra sharp cheddar, gruyere, and parmesan cheese. These cheese flavors blend so well together and give a nice contrast of color when melted, adding to the aesthetic of the sandwich.
But what are nachos without a bit of a kick? We’re sprinkling jalapenos on the inside to give off that burst of heat. For that added crunch, we’re grilling the tortilla chips onto the outer layer!
Who says you have to wait until the fourth of July for fireworks? We setting it off early this year.
- 4 slices of soft multi-grain whole wheat bread
- 3 tbsp of unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 small jalapeño, sliced into thin rings
- 1 c. finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 c. shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ c. crushed tortilla chips
- 1 8oz. ready to serve guacamole dip
- 1 8 oz. ready-to-serve pico de gallo dip
- Spread tsp of softened butter onto 1 side of each slice of bread
- Place crushed tortilla chips onto a plate and press each buttered slice into the chips
- Sprinkle the cheddar, gruyere, and parm cheese onto two of the un-buttered side of the bread until the whole piece of bread is covered
- Layer as many jalapeno slices as you wish on top of the cheese and place the other two slices of bread on each cheese-covered piece (tortilla chip covered sides should be on the outside)
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat and carefully place each sandwich into the pan
- Gently press each sandwich down with a spatula to ensure the sandwich is grilling and grill until golden brown (about 3-5 minutes)
- Carefully flip the sandwiches over to grill the other side, making sure none of the fillings falls out. Grill until golden brown and cheese is melted
- Transfer grilled sandwiches to a plate, cut in half, and enjoy!
To top it off, enjoy your warm Nacho Average Grilled Cheese sandwiches with guacamole and/or pico de gallo. We promise you’ll be dreaming about this sandwich because we still are.
- Recipe – https://cookthestory.com/nacho-grilled-cheese/