Healthy-ish Banana Oat Pancakes
By Jenny Pham
Wondering what you should have for breakfast? Don’t sleep on these Banana Oat Pancakes. No one ever believes us when we tell them these pancakes are dairy-free, butter-free, oil-free, and gluten-free. It sounds too good to be true, but they are also guilt-free. With just a few simple ingredients, we are putting a twist to the classic stack of fluffy pancakes that we all love so that you can indulge feeling healthy and full.
It’s quite simple, actually. Just 10 ingredients, one blender, and voila! The best part of this recipe is that the banana provides a nice tone of sweetness so you don’t have to add a ton of extra sugar! It is a great gateway into your healthy diet and another recipe that proves that you can still indulge while eating healthy – truly a win-win situation.
Here’s our secret:
- 1/2 cup Almond Milk (sweetened or unsweetened, it’s your choice!)
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 tbsp agave
- 1 1/2 cups Rolled Oats (Gluten-Free)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp of cinnamon
- Combine all of the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth (about 30 -60 seconds)
- Spray a pan with non-stick cooking spray* and place over medium heat
- Using a ¼ measuring cup, drop rounds of pancake batter onto the heated pan and cook until the top of each pancake form little bubbles around the edges (about 2-3 minutes)
- Take a spatula and flip each pancake to cook on the opposite side (about 1-2 minutes)
- Once the pancakes are golden brown, stack them up on a plate and serve with your toppings of choice.
*In place of cooking spray, you can grease your pan with oil or butter – the recipe just won’t be oil- or butter-free in this case!
Now that you have your beautiful stack of pancakes, it’s time for the toppings (and this is where the “healthy pancakes” become “healthy-ish pancakes”). You have to live a little, right? Sliced banana and peanut butter drizzle are definitely our go-to’s but don’t limit yourself! You can add fresh berries, maple syrup, agave, chocolate chips, nuts, cookie butter, ice cream, or pretty much anything your heart desires. Enjoy!