Fried Caprese Salad
By Jenny Pham
Nothing beats a fresh tangy tomato, layered with creamy mozzarella, aromatic fresh basil, and sweet balsamic glaze on a warm spring day. A nice, fresh and light salad is sometimes all you need and we’re here to share this Caprese Salad recipe with you – with, of course, a twist. If you’re feeling daring and want to not feel like you’re eating these ingredients like they came straight from the garden, we’re adding a bit of flavor and crunch to change it up. Cue, Fried Caprese Salad.
Just because this recipe is fried, does not make it unhealthy. Yes, it adds on a few extra calories, but these are the calories that will make you happy. By lightly breading and flash frying these caprese bites, you’re allowing the cheese to slightly melt and the flavors to meld together. Fried food has a special place in all of our hearts, and with this Fried Caprese Salad, you’re indulging healthily.
- 1 large tomato, sliced into 3 ½ inch rounds
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 package of mozzarella cheese – sliced into 3 ½ inch rounds
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- balsamic glaze
- Season tomato slices with salt and pepper, set aside on a plate
- In three separate bowls, place flour, egg, panko crumbs for coating
- Dip each tomato in flour, then egg, then panko crumbs. Transfer to a new plate and repeat this step with the remaining tomato slices
- Heat oil in a medium skillet and add tomato slices, Flash fry for about 30 seconds or until golden
- Transfer fried tomatoes to a paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle salt on top
- Assemble the caprese salad bites by layering a fried tomato, mozzarella, basil leaves, and repeat. Drizzle balsamic glaze over and enjoy!