Chocolate Caramel Tart Recipe
By Cooking Panda
The netizens are loving this Chocolate Caramel Tart Recipe
Remember the time when salt playing a starring role was seen as a fashionable concept. When compared with the current scenario, it is pretty startling because salted caramel ice cream are everywhere. The recipe shared here can be thought of as an adaption of pastry chef Claudia Fleming’s creation. This recipe featured in an article in The Times by Amanda Hesser in 2000. The article talks primarily about the very trendy and also showcased how to create it properly. The goal is to create a remarkable combination of flavors and textures. For this, layers of silky caramel and dark chocolate ganache are topped with a sprinkling of crunchy, snow-white fleur de sel.
Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Yield: 10-inch tart (12 to 16 servings)
Lets first go over the ingredients:
FOR THE CHOCOLATE DOUGH:
- ½ cup (1 stick) salted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 large egg yolk
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
FOR THE CARAMEL FILLING:
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup corn syrup
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche (available at specialty food markets)
- PInch of salt]
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GLAZE:
- 3 ½ ounces extra-bittersweet chocolate (70 to 85%), chopped
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Fleur de sel
Hopefully you can get your hands on all the ingredients mentioned above because now is the time to check out the steps to create some awesomeness:
- Preparation of chocolate dough: In an electric mixer’s bowl, create a combination of butter, confectioners’ sugar and cocoa. Beat until it becomes smooth. After that, egg yolk and vanilla are added and then finally beat until it blends.
- Sift flour into the dough mixture. Beat on low speed till it combines. Once done, press the dough into the bottom and up the sides of a 10-inch tart pan. (You could instead use a 9-inch pan. However, the crust will be thicker and it may take longer for the caramel to set in step 4.)
- Preheat oven up to 350 degrees. Line tart with foil and fill with dried beans, rice, or pie weights. Should be baked for around 15 minutes. Once done, the foil and the weights are removed, and baked until pastry is dry and set, for a maximum of 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Caramel filling preparation: In a large saucepan, boil sugar, water and corn syrup. Stir or swirl the pan occasionally. This is done for about 12 minutes until the mixture is a medium amber color. Remove from the heat. Caramel will continue to cook and darken off of the heat. Whisk in the butter, cream, creme fraiche and salt until smooth (mixture will bubble up). Pour hot caramel into the tart, and then allow to cool and set, at least an hour.
- Chocolate glaze preparation: Place chocolate in a bowl. In a small saucepan, boil the cream. Once done, pour hot cream over the chocolate and whisk until chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. Pour glaze over tart, tilting tart for even coverage. Refrigerate until tart is set, for about an hour. After that sprinkle with a few granules of fleur de sel. Until serving, keep it refrigerated.