Beer Cheese Queso Dip
By Jenny Pham
The Superbowl is all about beer and cheesy snacks – and maybe football too. Even those who don’t follow football “celebrate” the first Sunday of February for the drinks and the food. Why not combine the two essentials of Super Bowl Sunday to make an ultimate crowd-pleasing dish? Cue, the Beer Cheese Queso Dip.
Queso is already good on its own, but when beer is added, the flavor is heightened to a whole new level that you would have never thought could be possible. The flavor of your queso depends largely on the type of beer you choose to incorporate. Want a more bitter taste to pair with the sharp cheddar? Use a darker ale. Alternatively, you can balance out the sharpness of cheddar cheese with a sweeter, lighter pale ale.
For this recipe we are opting for Corona Extra – because if there were to be a crowd at any Super Bowl table, it would be around the Corona and the cheese dips. This is truly a win-win situation.
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ of a medium onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup Corona Extra
- 12 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12 oz Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp chipotle chili pepper
- Optional salsa, avocado, pretzel bites, or tortilla chips for serving
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeno pepper, garlic, cumin, and a pinch of salt and saute for about 5-10 minutes or until tender.
- Add the cream cheese and milk. Cook until a smooth sauce forms and add in the Corona Light.
- In a separate bowl, toss together Cheddar and Monterey cheese with the flour. Slowly add in the cheese and flour mixture into the melted cream cheese mixture.
- Finish off by adding chili powder.
- Transfer to a separate bowl, top with salsa and avocado, if desired, and enjoy with tortilla chips or pretzel bites!