8 Ingredient Mac and Cheese (with a Secret Ingredient)
By Jenny Pham
Mac and Cheese could either be dressed up or dressed down. It could be made with the finest cheese on this planet and topped with shaved truffles or it could be packaged in plastic cup and microwaved with powdered cheese and tap water. However it is prepared, Mac and Cheese is probably one of the most beloved foods ever.
No matter what occasion, there’s always time for Mac and Cheese. Whether it’s for a big family gathering, for a birthday, or just simply something you need for drunk eats, Mac and Cheese is there for you. We’re meeting in the middle of packaged and fancy Mac and Cheese to make our favorite recipe – 8 Ingredient Mac and Cheese with a Secret Ingredient!
We’re all about the quick and easy and the eyes-rolling-back-to-the-head-after-the-first-bite- reaction. You can’t go wrong with most Mac and Cheese recipes but with this secret ingredient, you will have a guaranteed “WOW” reaction.
How? Two words: Cottage Cheese. Because this cheese doesn’t melt like your typical cheddar, your Mac and Cheese won’t be a soupy soggy mess when cottage cheese is combined with multiple cheeses. Instead, the small bursts of cheese from the curds give this dish the unique texture and flavor. It may sound out of the norm, but this ingredient is a serious game changer.
- 1 (8 oz) box of your pasta of choice (we love a good spiral mac and cheese dish)
- 1 (8 oz) bag of shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 (12 oz) container of small curd cottage cheese
- 1 (8 oz) container of light sour cream
- ¼ cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- ¼ cup of melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)
- Boil pasta according to the directions on the box.
- In a large bowl, stir together cooked pasta, cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper. Mix until combined and pour into a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Mix together bread crumbs and butter. Sprinkle over macaroni mixture.
- Bake until cheese is melted and breading is golden (about 30-35 minutes)