- 3 boneless and skinless chicken breast halves
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 pound smoked sausage that is cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 5 tablespoons of margarine
- 1 large onion that is chopped
- 8 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 green bell pepper that is seeded and chopped
- 3 stalks celery that is chopped
- 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 bunch flat leaf parsley with the stems and leaves coarsely chopped, also chopped leaves for garnish
- 4 cups of hot water
- 5 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 (14-ounce can) stewed tomatoes with the juice
- 2 cups of frozen sliced okra
- 4 green onions that are sliced, white and green parts
- 1/2 pound small shrimp that is peeled, deveined and cooked
If you are looking for a Gumbo Recipe but don’t know where to find one, maybe this will help you. This recipe serves 8 to 10 and takes 2 hours and 25 minutes to cook.
Step 1- Put salt and pepper on the chicken. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until it is browned on both sides. Add the sausage and cook until browned. Sprinkle flour over the oil and add 2 tablespoons of margarine. Cook this over medium heat, stirring, until brown, for around 10 minutes. Let it cool.
Step 2- Return the Dutch oven to low heat and place the the remaining 3 tablespoons margarine in it to melt. Add the onion, green pepper, garlic, and celery and cook this for 10 minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce, pepper and salt, and the 1/4 parsley. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes. Add 4 cups of hot water and bouillon cubes, stirring constantly. Add the sausage and chicken. Bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat and cover. Let it simmer for 45 minutes. Add the okra and tomatoes. Cover and let simmer for 1 hour. Just before you serve it add the shrimp, green onions, and chopped parsley.