- 1 small clove garlic that is chopped
- 1/4 cup of low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1 medium eggplant that is sliced at 1/2-inch rounds
- 3 medium portobello mushroom caps that have the gills removed
- Canola cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground pepper
- 8 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread that are lightly grilled or toasted
- 2 cups arugula that are stemmed and chopped up if large
- 1 large tomato that is sliced
For those interested in trying to make a Grilled Eggplant & Portobello Sandwich simple recipe but don’t know where to get one, maybe this will help you. This recipe serves four and takes about twenty five minutes to prepare.
Step 1- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
Step 2- Mash the garlic into a paste with the back of a spoon. Combine garlic with mayonnaise and lemon juice in a bowl and set aside.
Step 3- Coat the sides of the eggplant and mushrooms with the cooking spray and season it with salt and pepper. Grill the vegetables, making sure to turn them once, until they are tender and brown on each side for about 2 to 3 minutes each side for the eggplant and about 3 to 4 minutes for the mushrooms. When cool, slice the mushrooms.
Step 4- Spread 1 1/2 teaspoons of the mayonnaise on each bread slice. Put the eggplant, mushrooms, arugula and tomato slices onto 4 pieces of bread and top it with the last piece of bread.