- 6 turkey legs
- Salt (optional)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots chopped
- 3 yellow onions chopped
- 3 garlic cloves crushed and chopped
- 2 celery stalks finely chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1 ½ cups of dry red wine
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano
Easy Braised Turkey Legs Simple Recipe
Turkey is a healthy choice as it is much leaner than other meats, such as red meat. In fact turkey is even leaner than chicken. Turkey leg is a very soft, flavorful part of the turkey and is ideal for braising. Braising the turkey legs really helps to accentuate the flavour.
The cooking method is outlined below
1. Heat the oven to 300 degrees F
2. Gently rub salt and pepper onto the turkey legs.
3. Add olive oil to a large pot. When the oil is hot enough for frying, add the turkey legs and brown them on all sides, so they are properly sealed.
4. Once browned take the turkey legs out of the pan and put them aside until later.
5. Add the carrots, onions, garlic and celery into the pan you previously sealed the turkey in. Fry until they are slightly golden brown.
6. Turn the heat down to a medium heat and add the wine and chicken broth. Cook for 2-3 minutes to reduce the liquid.
7. Add the fresh oregano and tomato paste and mix well. Bring the mixture to the boil.
8. Cover the pot with aluminium foil or a lid, and place it in the oven for 3 hours until the meat is tender.
9. Serve with rice.