- • 1 butternut squash, peeled and diced
- • 1 onion, chopped
- • 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- • 3 cups chicken broth
- • coarse salt
When most think of squash based soups, they think of thick, smooth blended textures. This caramelized butternut squash recipe yields a much hardier textured soup than the traditional. It is easy to follow, and will surely become a tradition that brings the family to the table. The salty, sweet tastes of this soup will blend perfectly in your mouth. This recipe yields about 6 servings. The prep time is about 10 minutes with a cook time of 45 minutes, giving it a total cook time of 55 minutes.
1. Peel and cube the butternut squash
2. Heat bacon fat in your cast iron skillet over high heat.
3. Add the butternut squash carefully to the hot bacon fat
4. Add about 2 tablespoons of salt
5. Continue to cook over high heat for 10 minutes
6. Stir gently and constantly so that the squash caramelizes or browns evenly on all sides.
7. Reduce the heat and cook 15 more minutes
8. Stir occasionally.
9. Remove the squash to a large bowl.
10. Add the onion to the skillet.
11. Cook over medium-high heat until soften about 10 minutes
12. Stir often to ensure the onions do not burn.
13. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil for a few minutes.
14. Pour the mixture into the bowl with the butternut squash.
15. Using an immersion blender, food processor or blender to puree the soup