- 2 pounds of beef shank that comes with a bone
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 2 teaspoons of ground black pepper
- 1 onion that is chopped
- 1 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 3 cups of beef broth
- 4 cups of water
- 2 medium carrots that are coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
- 1 potato that is quartered (optional)
- 2 ears of corn that is husked and cut into thirds
- 2 chayotes that are quartered (optional)
- 1 medium head cabbage that is cored and cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup of sliced pickled jalapenos
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped onion
- 1 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 limes that are cut into wedges
- 4 radishes that are quartered
Step 1- Cut the meat off of the beef bones into 1/2 inch pieces but leave some on the bones.
Step 2- Heat a pot over medium-high heat until it is hot. Add the oil, making sure that it coats the bottom of the pan. Add the meat and bones, and season it with salt and pepper. Cook and stir it until it is browned.
Step 3- Add the onion and cook it until it is also lightly browned. Put in the tomatoes and broth and stir. The juice should cover the bones by 1/2 inch. If it doesn’t, add some water to compensate. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour with the lid on lightly. If the meat is not tender, continue to cook it for about another ten minutes.
Step 4- Pour the water in and get it to simmer again. Add the carrot and 1/4 cup cilantro and cook it for 10 minutes, then put in the potato, corn and chayote. Simmer this until the vegetables are tender. Put the cabbage wedges in the soup and cook for around ten minutes more.
Step 5- Put the soup into bowls. Garnish it with jalapenos, minced onion, and some more cilantro. Squeeze some lime juice over it all and serve it with radishes.