BBQ Turkey with Mustard Sauce Simple Recipe
Turkey breast like to dry out with long cooking times for this recipe. It is strongly recommended to use legs and thighs. They will have less of a chance to dry out and the flavors will work well with the strong barbecue sauce flavor. It is an easy and mouth watering recipe to follow.
• 4 to 6 turkey thighs and/or legs (excess fat trimmed off)
• Vegetable oil
Mustard BBQ Sauce:
• 4 tbsp. butter
• ½ grated onion
• ½ cup brown sugar
• ½ cup cider vinegar
• ½ cup yellow mustard
• 1 teaspoon cayenne
• 1 tbsp. dry mustard
• 1 bay leaf
• Salt to taste
1. Use paper towels to pat the turkey pieces dry. Salt the pieces all over. Sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes.
2. The next step is making the sauce. Sauté your onions in butter. Make sure they are soft but not browned. 3-4 minutes on medium . Add the other ingredients and cook for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally
3. Put grill on high and direct the heat on one side and low on the other.
4. Put oil on the turkey pieces.
5. Lay the turkey pieces on the hot grill with the skin side down. Sear the turkey on the skin side for 3-4 minutes. When the skin of the pieces starts to get browned move them to the cooler side of the grill. Turn them over so the skin side is now up.
6. Cover the grill and let the turkey cook for 20mins. Check every 15-20 minutes after because each grill is different. The turkey should cook for 1/ ½ hours or longer.
7. After an hour baste the turkey with the barbecue sauce. Do one side and then 20mins after to the next.
8. Continue to baste every 15 minutes until the meat is completely done.
9. Serve with extra sauce and many napkins, enjoy!