- No stick cooking spray
- 1 small onion
- 3 stalks of celery, with tough strings removed
- 1 teaspoon of fresh garlic
- 1 14.5 oz can of tomatoes with juices and reduced salt
- 4 cups (20 oz) fresh or frozen corn
- 3 cups (18 oz) sliced okra
- 3 medium boiling potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 7 cups of vegetable stock or three cubes for making vegetable bouillon
- Use sea salt, pepper and hot sauce to add more flavor
This gumbo recipe comes from the Taste for the Living World Cookbook, sold by the Prostate Foundation, as a way to raise money for the Foundation’s causes.
Spray the non-stick coating in a large pot; heat that pot over a low heat. Add onions and celery, then cover and cook for two minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 15 seconds.
Stir in the tomatoes, the corn, the okra and the potatoes; add the stock/bouillon and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft and the gumbo has thickened.
Season the simmered gumbo to suit your taste using the sea salt, pepper and hot sauce.
This creates a dish that can serve 12 adults. It requires a total cooking time of only 35 minutes.